Friday, March 30, 2012
Things to Remember When Hiring a Criminal Defense Attorney
1. It is crucial to completely trust the defense attorney with whom you choose to work. See Attorney Boston. Whether you will be facing a trial or accepting a plea bargain, this is essential. Your defense attorney will be a major component of either sort of proceeding. If you are involved in a federal case, make sure your defense attorney has previously worked in a federal court. You need to be able to trust that your lawyer understands the gravity of a federal case.
2. Hire a lawyer who practices only criminal defense. This way, you will know that he or she fully understands the criminal legal system and has had plenty of experience defending clients. If, however, you select an attorney who also works in another branch of law, like estate law or divorce law, you cannot be confident that he or she competently understands all the details of criminal defense. This could be troublesome for the duration of your case.
3. If your case is going to trial, avoid hiring any lawyer who guarantees a particular outcome. Even the best criminal defense attorneys lose some cases. It is impossible for an attorney to know what a given jury will think about certain evidence or witness statements. See sex crime lawyer. Defense lawyers must encourage and aid their clients during trial proceedings, but should never make false promises about the outcome of cases.
4. You should only hire a defense attorney who is able to tell you about your case in simple, clear terms. If you do not understand the charges being brought against you or how the trial will proceed, you will be even more miserable. This is common knowledge amongst great defense attorneys. They realize that if their clients grasp what is occurring during the trial, they will seem more alert and engaged.
5. Don't get caught-up in the cost of your defense lawyer. Criminal defense cases sometimes have extremely significant results that can dictate whether a person lives or dies. The most imperative aspect of your case is to have a top-notch lawyers; fees can be paid at a later date. Remember that the majority of defense lawyers let clients pay them back over a period of time.